Around the World
They have faith in us
Have your say
Who's onlineWe have 15 guests online
Still countingContent View Hits : 221354
Data Analysis and Management
- Management, Analysis and Graphics of Epidemiology Data using STATA
- 20.05.2013 - 23.05.2013
- Sportsview Hotel Kasarani - Nairobi
- Data Management and Analysis
This course aims at training professionals in data management and statistical analysis tailored to the field of epidemiology under STATA platform.
Participants will be taken through descriptive, inferential statistics and advanced modeling.
FOR WHOM IS THE TRAINING RELEVANT?
This intermediate course in STATA is suitable for Clinical and Health Workers, Nutritionist, Biomedical Researchers, Data Analysts, Statisticians, Data Managers, Community Development, Food Security and Livelihood practitioners, Research Student, Program Managers and executives who use or intend to use STATA as a tool to analyze epidemiological data they collect in their organizations
The participants are required to have a good command of the English language and reasonable computing skills. Prior knowledge in STATA and Statistics is an added advantage but not a compulsory requirement.
Module 1: Introduction to Statistics
- Descriptive Statistics; Inferential Statistic
- STATA Basics: Using dialog boxes; the command widow; Configuration special features; updates; personalized system; user-written extensions; directory management; obtain help and perform search; online sources; STATA syntax; saving time and effort
Module 2: Data Management, graphics and programming
- Categorical data; continuous data; numerical, string and date/time variables; manage missing data; create dummy variables; other, label variables, encoded variables, generate new variables, Operators, ifs, dates, and times, Compilation of frequently used variable generation and modifying commands, STATA results into Excel & Word; Cleaning data; merging data; collapsing; reshaping
- Basics of graphing with STATA: Dialog boxes vs. do-file routines; inspecting the data prior graphing; reducing the data dimension to speed up graphing; setting range of variation; graph example - histogram; titles; axes; labels; bars; adding notes; the concepts of box, position, line, text, colour and font.
- Advanced graphing: Using loops for multiple overlays; combining multiple graphs side-by-side; recasting twoway plots; reproducing formatting; do-file options; existing graph schemes; creating your own graph scheme; the graph editor as a scheme maker; special graphs; relative values of graph parameters.
- Basics of STATA programming: Executing commands using do-files; proper structure of do-files; using comments; writing long commands; do v.s run; combination of preserve and restore; the command display;
Module 3: Epidemiology
- Introduction to Epidemiology thinking
- Sufficient/component cause theory of disease
- Hill’s causal criteria
- Cohort study; case-control study; cross-sectional study
- Confounding and bias in epidemiology
- Tables for epidemiologists
- Cross-tabulations; Chi-squared, Fisher’s exact, and Mantel–Haenszel tests; Tabulated odds and odds ratios
- Incidence proportion; Incidence rate; risk ratios; Attributable Fraction and Preventable Fraction; Sensitivity & Reliability analysis
Module 4: Modeling
- t-test; ANOVA; ANCOVA; repeated measures ANOVA; linear regression; regression diagnostics; Generalized Linear Models; Binomial models; poisson models; Survival analysis: Kaplan-meier curves; log-rank test; cox regression; Mixed effects models: Fixed effects; random effects.
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields. All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with an Indepth Research Services (IRES) certificate.
The standard course fee is KES 55,000 or USD 699. Exclusive of VAT. This covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the outreach manager.
Mob: +254 721 440 526, +254 715 077 817
Tel: 020 211 38 14
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this course kindly register online in our website before C.O.B. 6th May 2013. For more details contact:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is V.A.T?
A: Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax on consumer expenditure introduced in Kenya in January 1990 to replace Sales Tax, which had been in operation since 1973.
VAT was introduced as a measure to increase Government revenue through the expansion of the tax base, which hitherto was confined to sale of goods at manufacturing and importation level under the sales tax system. VAT is levied on consumption of taxable goods and services supplied or imported into Kenya and are collected by registered persons at designated points who then remit it to the Commissioner. Registered persons only act as VAT agents in collecting and paying the tax since the tax is borne by the final consumer of goods and services. For more details see: http://www.kra.go.ke/vat/aboutvat.html
1. Q: I am eligible to pay V.A.T?
A: For detailed answers see: http://www.kra.go.ke/vat/vatworking.html
2. Q: Does the indicated training fees include Accommodation?
A: No the training fee does not include accommodation. However IRES organized accommodation for participant who request, with the hosting Hotel on a negotiated rate. To request for accommodation, tick the accommodation checkbox on the application form.
This scheduled course can also be tailored for your organisation. To find out how our tailor-made training can help your organisation, call our team on +254 721 440 526.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
- Sportsview Hotel Kasarani
EventList powered by schlu.net